Thursday, January 7, 2010

Chef du Jour

Just before I became unemployed I saw the movie Julie & Julia and I was inspired to learn how to cook. Previously, I was able to cook the hell out of the following dishes: scrambled eggs, spaghetti, tacos, and beef stroganoff. That is about it...I couldn't even make a decent grilled cheese sandwich (in fact I once fused said grilled cheese sandwich to a pan, and threw my spatula at husband out of frustration...not a pretty scene!) After seeing the movie I was determined to learn how to cook decent food, and not just any food French food! I asked for Julia's cookbooks for Christmas, and apparently Santa felt I needed to broaden my culinary palate as well! I have been a cooking fiend ever since...quiches, pastry dough, heavy cream, and butter everywhere you look, it's fabulous! Every night is an experiment that (knock on wood) has turned out surprisingly well...very minimal cussing, no broken dishes and no flying spatulas (husband is super happy about that!). On the menu this evening was potato gratin with swiss and cream and a pan-seared steak with a white wine shallot butter sauce...it was delectable and I can't believe I cooked it! Of course we didn't eat until almost 8:00pm, so it seems I need to work on my timing, but in my mind it was so worth the wait! This is a plus side of being the unemployed housewife...time to cook and time to learn how to do it!

Bon Appetit!
The Unemployed Housewife

No comments:

Post a Comment