Thursday, October 20, 2011

Fall Leaves

Fall has finally come to Florida and with it comes the smell of fireplaces, the feel of cool dry air on our skin and an evocation of autumn memories.

I feel a stirring of excitement for the holidays, family, warmth and closeness. I have been lucky enough to have lived in many places in this country and in each place I have experienced this season in a unique way...

The bite and sweetness of hot apple cider, the warmth of a soft blanket encircling my body when curled up with a family member on the couch, slippers on my feet, marshmallows by the bonfire, and the leaves...the wind in the leaves, the color of the leaves, the leaves falling so gracefully in the cool dry breeze. 

Riding my bike in the wind, going so fast that my ears would ache for hours even after I stopped, a steaming cup of cocoa to warm them up. Cats curled up next to me seeking warmth, and walks, lots of walks with those leaves; leaves of gold, red, and yellow. The feel of their delicate structure cracking and disintegrating into my palms and fingers as I'm scooping them into bags of shiny black plastic and the wind keeps blowing them out; blisters on my hands from the rake; giving up and jumping into a pile of those leaves not yet collected. 

Fire, fireplaces, the intoxicating smell of woodsmoke. Brushing my hair dry at night sitting next to the fireplace after a hot shower. The rough texture of the logs as we placed them on the fire, the crumpling of newspapers to fuel that fire, and the quick strike of a long match to ignite its energy. Halloween and fall decorating, the smell of cinnamon everywhere, pumpkins and turkeys and those traditions that are so nostalgic to our souls.

And did I mention those leaves? And the sound of the wind in those leaves?

Fall leaves...but it will return.





No comments:

Post a Comment